Monday, June 6, 2011

A Look Back - Faith's Baptism

Every life does have a story and this is part of our story.

On February 23, 1996 we found out we were expecting our first baby.  My first response was:  "Are you sure this isn't someone else's test?"  9 years and 1 month after our wedding we were settled into the 'no children' lifestyle.  At Bible college and lots of plans for the future.  Brian responded by turning as white as a sheet, putting his head in his hands and saying:  "I don't believe it."  He writes in his journal:  "It was a shock to me, our lives would be much different, but we wanted you more than ever now that we had a glimmer of hope."

May 14th 1996 I wrote:  "I had my ultrasound today and I saw you, our beautiful baby at 18 weeks old.  You were so active!  We watched in awe as you brought your tiny hand to your mouth and moved your head.  Then we saw your little feet.  You truly are 'fearfully and wonderfully made."

Due in October, Faith decided to be born in September - the 10th.  I had to lay in the hospital for 4.5 weeks - but it was worth it - Faith was born at 35.5 weeks.  Healthy, but small. We rejoiced.  "My heart rejoices in the Lord... There is no one holy like the Lord; there is no one besides You; there is no Rock like our God."  (1 Samuel 2)  The baby showers and parties went on and on.... over 200 gifts in all!

Faith's name was chosen for many reasons - the obvious one being that "faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." (Hebrews 11:1)  But Faith's name also has a family connection in a way.  Her grandma's name is Fay (actually Foekje) and we can trace the name back to 1796... I like that.




We dedicated Faith to the Lord on October 13, 1996 at the Barrhead Alliance Church.  What a joyous day!  Seemed like everyone had a part in our story now, because she was literally prayed into being... from the early days of our marriage when I went to the elders to be annointed with oil and prayed for for healing, to the many, many prayers over the years, and then a difficult pregnancy and a friend driving to Three Hills from Barrhead to put her hands on my tummy and pray for Faith's safe arrival, and more friends coming to the hospital to pray on the night she was born.  Special Delivery!

We are honoured and privileged to raise Faith up to have a relationship with her loving Heavenly Father and her Saviour Jesus.  I found this prayer of hers that I wrote down when she was 5 years old.

She prayed:  "1 - Dear Lord Jesus, 2 - Thank you for the day, 3 - I love Jesus, 4 - I want to live in heaven, 5 - Stay in our house, 6 - When it's warm go outside, 7 - I'm going to heaven, 8 - I hope I have a good night sleep, 9 - I like our house, 10 - Amen!"

She was in preschool when she gave her heart to Jesus.  I was dropping her off for the afternoon and she asked me to come to the bathroom with her.  "Mom, I want Jesus to be in my heart... forever."  So we prayed there.  A Holy Moment.

Then in her 10th year (2006), we had a baptism service at our church.  I could tell she was being stirred in her spirit.  She was restless and kept looking at me.  "I want to be baptized," she whispered.  "Can Dad do it?"  YES!!  Wow another moment.









AMEN!

(captured off of DVD)


I'll end here for now... but the story has many more chapters yet to be written.  I can't wait!

2 comments:

  1. I LIKE!!! Keep the stories coming! What a wonderful way to remember your child's special moments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ev! I will keep them coming... feels GREAT to be able to write and share what's inside.

    ReplyDelete